In an unprecedented departure from the Naked Education series, I have something serious to say:
The College of Teaching represents probably the last chance that the Education Sector has to substantiate its claim to be a profession.
Definitions & Hopes:
1) Teachers are people who get other people to learn stuff.
**Please make it a broad church, enabling all of those in and around the sector to demonstrate the gold standard.**
2) Define the Gold standard,
**it should be a challenge to rise through the ranks from member to fellow etc. That means some people won’t be good enough**
4) Make the Gold Standard (Fellowship) require full focus for a year to achieve.
**Elite and exclusive is good, being a fellow should carry a premium of effort and skill””
5) Organisations like the College of Teaching need to be sustainable in an of themselves.
**get your business model right**
**dont get your begging bowl out**
6) Teachers are used to spending around £15 a month to be a member of a union they rarely support.
**exploit that, offer legal cover as part of membership””
“”price yourselves beneath he monthly union figure and people will fight to join.**
7) Be the investors in research that shows what works
**Plan to be the research informed voice for an emergent profession.**
8) Get your PR right.
“”Seek opportunities on a daily basis to be the reasoned, objective voice in the media, of an inclusive profession, encompassing both liberal and conservative ideologies**
Please don’t screw this up people.
You torpedoed the GTC with politics, apathy and contempt, don’t do it again!